The City of the Gold Coast currently engages with Gold Coast primary schools through their Active School Travel program. The program aims to reduce traffic congestion around schools, promote a healthier school community and contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable Gold Coast. Struber was engaged to expand the program to secondary schools.
Struber was embedded in the City of the Gold Coast office, working closely with the Travel Behaviour Change Team.
The approach for the secondary school plan was to ensure it was student-led, while also working closely with the pilot high school to achieve ongoing improvement and buy-in.
- Facilitated workshops with the principal, teachers’ representatives of the P&C and students.
- Meetings with the pilot high school.
- Surveys of parents, students and teachers
- Organised infrastructure/safety audits and site observations
- Worked with Council’s Junior Council program, which includes councillors and a mayor from across Gold Coast high school.
- Worked with corporate communications to provide high school appropriate branding ideas and collateral.